Sunday, November 15, 2009

See Dexter Run - and Run and Run and...

Dexter McCluster didn't much appreciate the Tennessee defense talking trash about his size. Or speed. “They talked the whole game. They chirped and chirped and chirped. We’d get a 15-yard run and they’d talk trash. We’d get another one and they kept chirping. They never seemed to get enough and it kept me motivated,” he smiled. “After the long run (71 yards for the game-sealing TD) I thought they’d quit, but they didn’t. Then, I had to laugh.”

Apparently, Coach O's brilliant move to make his defensive linemen run laps around the team hotel at 6 yesterday morning didn't help them have the freshest of legs. At least, that's what the rumor was according to UT's own radio man, Bob Kesling.

I've been to many, many Rebel games in my lifetime. But the one I went to Saturday was probably one of, if not the, most impressive displays I've ever seen in Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Dexter had 282 rushing and 324 all-purpose yards against the 3rd best defense in the SEC and 13th best in the nation. That's the most rushing yards given up by a Tennessee defense in 113 years of playing football. It was incredible and surreal. And while I enjoyed every minute of it (including watching my 2 year old daughter experience her first Ole Miss game and scream Hotty Toddy early and often), I had to wonder where this offensive gameplan was back in September in Columbia or in Auburn a few weeks ago.

But all Rebel fans and players can do is look ahead to the last two games against their biggest rivals - the coonasses (LSU) and the dumbasses (MSU). Win out and Ole Miss is probably playing in the Capital One Bowl. Split the games and the Cotton Bowl is still possible. Either outcome is very good. But still not what we dreamed of for this season. Oh well.

I'll write about the upcoming game against the boys from Baton Rouge later, but will end this post with one of my favorite poems:

I'm a Rebel,
I'm a Rebel,
I'm a Rebel through and through.
And I'd rather be a Rebel,
Than a coonass from LSU!

No comments:

Post a Comment