Friday, November 13, 2009

Picks - Week 11

Brocktoon here, filling in for Commissioner McHugh, who is busy working for the man today, with your picks for the week. A successful week was had by most last week, and several people are up over .500 against the line. The current standings, with last week's record and overall record, are as follows:

Chuck Visor: 6-4, 43-27
Drake McHugh, Esq.: 8-2, 38-32
Max Power: 8-2, 37-24
Brocktoon: 8-2, 36-34
Full Monte Kiffin: 7-3, 32-28
Carter Slade: 1-0, 24-19
Woody Widenhoefer: 0-0, 22-18
Dick C'est Bon: 0-0, 14-12
Arnold Porkzenegger: 0-0, 3-4
Herschel Talker: 0-0, 0-1

Now for this week's picks:

Coach O's Revenge: Tennessee (+5) at Ole Miss (12 pm ET, CBS) - The real-life Farmer Frankie visits his old team as Tennessee looks to become bowl-eligible after a slow start. The Vols look impressive as of late with wins over Georgia, South Carolina, and Memphis, and a near-defeat of Alabama. Their most lopsided loss was a 10 point loss to Florida. On the other hand, Ole Miss is 6-3, playing like 3-6. A loss to Auburn set them back, but a win here would make them bowl-eligible as well (you can't count both of the I-AA victories). I would have figured Tennessee was favored here, but it might be the case of a homer line. I'll take Tennessee with the outright victory.

SEC East Cellar Dwellers: Kentucky (-3) at Vanderbilt (12:21 pm ET, SEC Network) - Kentucky is looking for a 6th victory on the season to make them bowl-eligible. Vanderbilt is looking forward to finishing their schedule and beginning the basketball season. Kentucky covers.

Spurrier's Revenge: Florida (-17) at South Carolina (3:30 pm ET, CBS) - Florida is looking toward their meeting with Alabama in the SEC Championship game, but they must first wrap up regular season SEC play with a trip to the Old Ball Coach's new home. South Carolina is looking to salvage what started as a nice season that has slowly gone down the crapper. South Carolina has dropped the last two by considerable margins and now looks to possibly winning 7 games. I normally would take South Carolina here, but I think Florida is going to stick it to them. Florida covers and makes Steve Spurrier thrown his visor at least once.

The South's Oldest Rivalry: Auburn (+4) at Georgia (7 pm ET, ESPN 2) - Neither team has played great down the stretch despite starting strong. Auburn would like to go into the Iron Bowl with a victory, and Georgia would like to go to a bowl. Both teams have a lot to play for. Look for a tight game, with Auburn's defense making the difference. Auburn wins the game and saves a little bit of face.

Tech vs. State, Just Like in the Allstate Commercials: Louisiana Tech (+23) at LSU (7 pm ET, ESPN U) - Are there any players left for LSU who can still play? With Jarrett Lee at the helm, LSU wins, but not by 23. I'll take the Bulldogs to block.

I've Got A Fever, And The Only Prescription Is More Cowbell: Alabama (-12.5) at Mississippi State (7 pm ET, ESPN) - Alabama looks to continue their dominance over competitors. Greg McElroy seems to have regained his composure, and Julio Jones scored a touchdown for a change. Alabama still wins the game, but with Mississippi State playing at home, they will beat the spread. If this game was the same line in Tuscaloosa, I'd take Alabama.

Hawg Heaven: Troy (+13.5) at Arkansas (7:30 pm ET, CSS/ESPN 360) - Troy, who has now won 7 games after starting 0-2, takes on an Arkansas team that has been hit or miss over the last 3-4 games. Arkansas is happy to get Troy at home, though, and a win will make Arkansas bowl-eligible also. They will take it to Troy just like Florida did, behind-the-woodshed style. Arkansas covers the spread, winning BIG.

Bonus Pick #1: Iowa (+16) at Ohio State (3:30 pm ET, ABC) - The wheels finally fell off Iowa after winning several close games, including a 3 point squeaker to Arkansas State. Ohio State is coming off a big victory over Penn State and has a lot of momentum. Iowa's backup QB, James Vandenberg, not only looks like he's never played football before, he's also named after my favorite 80s metal band. Ohio State covers, embarrasses Iowa.

Bonus Pick #2: Utah (-19.5) at TCU (7:30 pm ET, CBS (maybe?)) - This game will undoubtedly decide the winner of the Mountain West conference. TCU is riding high, winning their last 4 by an average score of 44-6. Utah is no slouch, with their only loss a 7-point win by Oregon. I'd like to think Utah will keep it close, but I'm not sure they will. Despite that, I'll take Utah to beat the spread and regret it later.

5 comments:

  1. Coach O's Revenge: Tennessee (+5) at Ole Miss (12 pm ET, CBS) - Surprised the Rebels are favored in this one considering their play as of late and the fact they haven't beaten UT since 1983. Vols win big...

    SEC East Cellar Dwellers: Kentucky (-3) at Vanderbilt (12:21 pm ET, SEC Network) - YAWN. UK covers.

    Spurrier's Revenge: Florida (-17) at South Carolina (3:30 pm ET, CBS) - Florida will win this one. But by 17? Columbia is a tough place and I expect the Gamecocks will be up for this one. Take the Gators, but not to cover.

    The South's Oldest Rivalry: Auburn (+4) at Georgia (7 pm ET, ESPN 2) - This one will probably be one of the best of the day. I expect Coach Richt to have his Dwwgs ready. UGA wins and covers.

    Tech vs. State, Just Like in the Allstate Commercials: Louisiana Tech (+23) at LSU (7 pm ET, ESPN U) - LSU wins and covers.

    I've Got A Fever, And The Only Prescription Is More Cowbell: Alabama (-12.5) at Mississippi State (7 pm ET, ESPN) - Alabama wins and covers. No upset this year.

    Hawg Heaven: Troy (+13.5) at Arkansas (7:30 pm ET, CSS/ESPN 360) - Troy usually plays well in these games, but the Hogs have plenty of motivation and they will cover big time in this one.

    Bonus Pick #1: Iowa (+16) at Ohio State (3:30 pm ET, ABC) - Iowa loses, but not by 16...

    Bonus Pick #2: Utah (-19.5) at TCU (7:30 pm ET, CBS (maybe?)) - Another difficult game to pick as I do not keep up with and could care less about the MWC. TCU wins, but doesn't cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach O's Revenge: Tennessee (+5) at Ole Miss (12 pm ET, CBS) - No disrespect but the way Tennessee and Ole Miss are both playing I would have thought TN was favored. I'll go with Tennessee and the points.

    SEC East Cellar Dwellers: Kentucky (-3) at Vanderbilt (12:21 pm ET, SEC Network) - UK wins and covers

    Spurrier's Revenge: Florida (-17) at South Carolina (3:30 pm ET, CBS) - I'll take the jorts to win but not cover. It appears that Spurrier is on another end of the season free fall.

    The South's Oldest Rivalry: Auburn (+4) at Georgia (7 pm ET, ESPN 2) - I'll take Auburn with the points.

    Tech vs. State, Just Like in the Allstate Commercials: Louisiana Tech (+23) at LSU (7 pm ET, ESPN U) - LSU wins but doesn't cover.

    I've Got A Fever, And The Only Prescription Is More Cowbell: Alabama (-12.5) at Mississippi State (7 pm ET, ESPN) - Bammeroids keep winning and will cover.

    Hawg Heaven: Troy (+13.5) at Arkansas (7:30 pm ET, CSS/ESPN 360) - Hogs win and cover.

    Bonus Pick #1: Iowa (+16) at Ohio State (3:30 pm ET, ABC) - I'll take Iowa and the points.

    Bonus Pick #2: Utah (-19.5) at TCU (7:30 pm ET, CBS (maybe?)) - I'll take TCU to win and cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coach O's Revenge: Tennessee (+5) at Ole Miss (12 pm ET, CBS) - Ole Miss if for no other reason than the Tennessee Freshman gangbangers are spending the game in jail.

    SEC East Cellar Dwellers: Kentucky (-3) at Vanderbilt (12:21 pm ET, SEC Network) - kentucky has the better athletes, so I go with the Wildcats to cover.

    Spurrier's Revenge: Florida (-17) at South Carolina (3:30 pm ET, CBS) - If I pick against my team and we don't cover, I am happy I got the pick right, but disappointed in the team. If I pick Florida, I hate myself and if we pull of the victory I am happy, but I hate myself doubly because of the pick. What to do? Pick the Gamecocks, of course.

    The South's Oldest Rivalry: Auburn (+4) at Georgia (7 pm ET, ESPN 2) - It seems like a while since Georgia last played a night game. I don't trust them lately, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one at home. Georgia wins by two scores.

    Tech vs. State, Just Like in the Allstate Commercials: Louisiana Tech (+23) at LSU (7 pm ET, ESPN U) - LSU wins big big big.

    I've Got A Fever, And The Only Prescription Is More Cowbell: Alabama (-12.5) at Mississippi State (7 pm ET, ESPN) - I have lost track of MSU since the beginning of the season. Bama looks pretty good, though. I'll go with Bama in this one.

    Hawg Heaven: Troy (+13.5) at Arkansas (7:30 pm ET, CSS/ESPN 360) - Troy has dad their days in the sun, now they will find themselves neck deep in slop. Hogs win by at least 2 touchdowns.

    Bonus Pick #1: Iowa (+16) at Ohio State (3:30 pm ET, ABC) - Iowa has a ton of fans that show up every week at the Chrystal City Sports Pub just outside of Washington D.C. Ohio State has tree nuts. I'll take Iowa with the points.

    Bonus Pick #2: Utah (-19.5) at TCU (7:30 pm ET, CBS (maybe?)) - Utah gave my Carolina Panthers the likes of Steve Smith and Jordan Gross, while TCU gave the world Ladainian Tomlinson and the fictional fantasy idea of a horned frog. These days I will take Smith and Gross and Utah with the points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coach O's Revenge: Like everyone else, a little surprised OM is favored. Only factor giving me pause is the distraction from the arrests earlier in the week. I still like UT to win. And you're giving me 5 free points? Go Vols.

    SEC East Cellar Dwellers: Just got off the phone with my Nanny, born and raised in Burkesville, KY. Gotta go with the Wildcats.

    Spurrier's Revenge: I have no reason to believe SC will play well or keep it close. Still, 17 is a pretty big line. Against my better judgment, I'll take Gamecocks and the points.

    The South's Oldest Rivalry: Slight correction here. This is the DEEP South's Oldest Rivalry. Apparently, UNC-Virginia claims the title of South's Oldest Rivalry. Interestingly, each team has a better record on the road than at home in this series. The game is in Athens, I like the Tigers to win, so I'll definitely take them plus points.

    Tech vs. State, Just Like in the Allstate Commercials: I think Tech may be spent after playing Boise close last week. I give LSU a decent chance of beating the spread. Still, 23 is a big spread. With a (pellet) gun to my head, I'll take La Tech and the points.

    I've Got A Fever, And The Only Prescription Is More Cowbell: Everyone seems to think Bama will win but the game will be close. I'm tempted to take Bama to cover just to be contrarian. Still, I think McElroy and Julio's performance last week that supposedly shut up all the doubters is a little overrated. I'll conform and take MSU and the points.

    Hawg Heaven: I don't think Troy will keep it close. Go Hogs!

    Bonus Pick #1: For Iowa, No Stansi = no chancey. But I never pick the Buckeyes to cover. Hawkeyes to lose by less than 16!!

    Bonus Pick #2: Horned frogs over Utes, but not by that much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realized I wrote Utah -19.5 instead of +19.5. I'm glad you guys realized my error.

    ReplyDelete