Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Preview: Auburn vs. Mississipi St. (tee-hee)

First, let me say that I had a nice long preview typed up yesterday, only to have it not save or write to the blog. So here is my attempt to salvage a lot of what I had written.
--------------------
Is Auburn playing Mississipi St. or Mississippi St.? I think it's Mississippi St., but I'm not sure.

Auburn and Mississippi State are both coming into the game Thursday with high-powered offenses from their previous games against Sun Belt opponent Arkansas State and C-USA opponent Memphis, respectively. I didn't watch the Mississipi State-Memphis game, but it appears that Mississippi State's offense was firing on all cylinders while their defense absolutely manhandled Memphis. Auburn, on the other hand, had a potent offensive output but showed a defense that appeared sluggish, similar to how the defense played last year. Cameron Newton lived up to the hype, being named SEC Offensive Player of the Week.

I would say that both teams look to score many more points than they did the last time these teams met in Starkville. 2008's game was an Auburn win, 3-2. This game appears to be headed in a much different direction, and I think we should expect a shootout decided in the last half of the fourth quarter. The line is anywhere from a 1.5 to 2.5 point spread in Auburn's favor. If the line stays at or below 1.5, I'd say take Auburn. If it gets above 2, I'd say take Mississippi State. As far as a prediction, let's go with Auburn 44, Mississippi State 42. The over-under line is at 53.5 or 54, and I would say go with over on that one--I know this is the SEC now, but they're both nice offenses.

War Eagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment